2022 Code of Conduct
University facilitators who are offering their time and skills to a Teen-Turn hosted programme taking place on our videoconferencing channels or at partner sites are asked to review and sign a Mentor Code of Conduct. All sessions are supervised by Garda Vetted members of our team.
The Teen-Turn Mentor Code of Conduct addresses the appropriate levels of behaviour for mentors in order to fall in line with child protection best practice. The Mentor Code of Conduct aims to ensure maximum safety for both the participants and the mentors in the programme. The safeguarding of participants will always be a key priority as we recognise that the welfare of the child is of paramount importance in our work.
Code of Conduct
Adults interacting with young persons and children as a mentor are in a position of trust and influence. They should always ensure that young persons and children are treated with integrity and respect, and the self-esteem of young people is enhanced.
All adult actions in mentorship should be guided by what is best for the young person or child and carried out in the context of respectful and open relationships. Physical, emotional or sexual abuse and neglect of any kind or threat of such abuse is totally unacceptable.
• Please do not exchange personal contact information with the participants.
• Avoid one-to-one mentoring outside of workshop hours.
• Please abide by safety rules given by the Garda Vetted Teen-Turn safety appointee, who will be hosting and present during the videoconferencing.
• Treat each person equally regardless of age, gender, ability, ethnic origin, cultural background or religion.
• Never use foul language or provocative language/gestures in the presence of a participant.
• Be positive so that participants leave with a sense of achievement and an increased level of self-esteem.
• If you witness any behaviour that you find disturbing please call it to the attention of the safety appointee.
• Do not under any circumstances make arrangements to meet in person with any participant.